Front-line soldier Mikhail Serebryakov last year became the winner of the program “Voice. 60+” on Channel One, performing the song “Motherland”. On the eve of Victory Day, Rodina’s correspondent visited the veteran, asking him to remember May 1945.
At the front, Mikhail Erofeevich was alone in September 1944. After graduating from a tank school in Sverdlovsk, the commander of a self-propelled gun, Serebryakov, was assigned to the First Ukrainian Front in the Fourth Tank Army.
– I can’t say I was in serious battles. We attack, basically. Our duty on the self-propelled guns was to secure the attack. Sometimes people like to brag when they talk about war. But I remember it as a trip to work, – says Mikhail Erofeevich.
And he admits it was still scary. Otherwise, there is no war.
Serebryakov celebrated Victory Day in 1945 in the city of Rovno, where his tank unit was in reserve. But even in the rear he was restless: they had to defend themselves against Bandera.
– So it turned out: during the day, the locals plow the land, and at night, they chacalan, killing soldiers and officers, – says Mikhail Erofeevich. – In the afternoon, the military go to the house where the alleged criminals are with a check-up. But the house is empty. There were some underground passages, passages where bandits hid. Therefore, the camp was strictly guarded by us.
Officers and soldiers were released into the city on leave only in groups and with weapons.
– I had a friend who met a local girl in the city, very beautiful, but I don’t remember her name. One day she told him, “Timosha, don’t go on a date with me today, your father and brother are planning something against you.” Probably, she saved him from reprisals, – asserts the veteran.
Mikhail Erofeevich is often asked if he had to kill in war. He answers like this: “Shoot – shoot. But he did not see who he hit and whether he hit. After all, it’s like with us – a shooting point appeared, we have to destroy it. We stop, a few seconds to get ready and shoot.”
… After Rovno, Mikhail Serebryakov had to fight in the Far East, serve on Ezel Island, live in Leningrad, Veliky Novgorod, Moscow. But he was invariably drawn to his hometown of Kremenichi in the Novgorod region. There, where he in childhood listened to my mother sing and studied with her. Where he helped restore the temple. Where he likes to dig the earth and the garden, although he walks and crouches with difficulty.
– In my garden, I always plant potatoes. It’s hard to remove it, I’m hiring someone. And I’m slowly digging, I found a way! – says Mikhail Erofeevich.
He dreams that at the end of May his grandson Dmitry will take him to the village. The other day they went to the grave of his wife Tatiana. Mikhail Erofeevich smiles through tears, remembering her: “After the wedding, they came home. We had a festive soup and a plate for two. Tanyusha pushed the meat with a spoon and told me to eat more … “
And Mikhail Erofeevich is sure that singing helps him all his life and that, in fact, everyone should sing, at least for themselves:
– You know, a Serebryakov says to me: “What are you, old fool, all you sing?” And the other Serebryakov answers him: “Since my mother received a gift for life, we must use it.”
He goes like this, with a song through life. He sees a wonderful freedom, he sees fields and fields, he sees Russian paintings …
This is your homeland.
*The article has been translated based on the content of rg.ru. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!