– The development of Siberia and the Far East as a national priority of the 21st century was designated by the head of state in 2013 in his message to the Federal Assembly. The Krasnoyarsk Economic Forum has become one of the traditional platforms where the development prospects of the Eastern direction are discussed. And this year is no exception. “Siberian Time” – this was the main theme of KEF-2023. For you, is the time for Siberia approaching or has it already arrived?
– At all times, Siberia has been and remains the main pantry of the country – since Mikhail Lomonosov said that Russian power would grow in the Trans-Ural territories. Large reserves of mineral, forest and water resources are concentrated here. Our region ranks second in Russia in terms of area, and a significant proportion of this wealth is located in the Krasnoyarsk subsoil. But Siberia’s potential is not limited solely to natural resources. During the Great Patriotic War, a powerful industrial complex began to form here, which made an invaluable contribution to strengthening the country’s economy. And today, companies from such companies as Rosneft, Norilsk Nickel, RUSAL, Polyus, SUEK operate in the region. These and other brands are known far beyond Russia. Scientific and educational centers that help solve technological problems and train qualified personnel operate successfully in the region. About 30,000 students study in SibFU alone, of which almost 1,000 are foreign students. We have a developed social infrastructure and important high-level international events are held. Ideas about Siberia as a “wild land” are gone. Today it is a territory where there are all opportunities for self-realization.
– What resource is the Krasnoyarsk Territory capable of offering today, as a locomotive region, as support for the development of the Russian economy?
– Of course, the main dynamics of socio-economic transformations is set by the comprehensive investment project “Yenisei Siberia”, which we are implementing together with Khakassia and Tuva. Most of the business initiatives are currently underway. At the same time, over the five years, the KIP has “gained weight” significantly. Initially, it included 32 projects with an investment of about 2 trillion rubles. And today – 40 for a total amount of more than 3 trillion rubles. Major projects include the development of the Syradasai coal deposit in Taimyr, the construction of a new gold recovery plant, the fifth in a row, in the Northern Yenisei region. The attraction of residents to the Krasnoyarsk valley of technology continues. Construction of the northernmost automobile bridge across the Yenisei will be completed ahead of schedule this year; we plan to put it into service in August. Several initiatives in the field of forest chemistry and deep processing of agricultural products are underway. We are already seeing positive effects: over the years of the CIP’s existence, more than 10 thousand jobs have been created, more than 200 billion rubles have been invested in investments. Separately, it is worth mentioning the Vostok Oil project, which will allow the region to become one of the most important oil and gas regions not only in Russia, but in the whole world, as well as significantly contribute to the increase in the volume of burden. transportation along the Northern Sea Route. Investments in Vostok Oil are estimated at about 11 trillion rubles. Giant investment! And, of course, infrastructure plays an important and growing role. Geographically, the Krasnoyarsk Territory is destined to be the gateway to Asia. It is located in the very center of the country, at the intersection of the main transport arteries: highway, railway, river and air. Now it is important to expand these channels and create new ones in order to access complete logistics corridors. We are constantly promoting this idea. For several years, a project to create a center on the basis of the Krasnoyarsk airport has been implemented. In 2021, the construction of the Bay Sever marine terminal in Taimyr began. The new configuration should be acquired by the Kuragino-Kyzyl railway line: now we are talking about plans to extend it through Mongolia to China.
– Endless sanctions, the withdrawal of foreign manufacturers from the market forced Russia not only to turn to the east, but to look for scientific and technological potential within the country. And it turned out that we have not only preliminary work on paper, but also successfully implemented quite specific projects. What is the contribution of the citizens of Krasnoyarsk to import substitution work?
– The range of such products is quite wide – from mining equipment and elevators to household chemicals and paint products.Our large companies have their own engineering and technical centers that are aimed at solving such problems. A successful example is the development of equipment necessary for the production of aluminum. Previously purchased in the USA. Our companies also manufacture complexes for thermal cutting of metals, products from refractory materials, front-end loaders and much more.Some companies have an order for helicopter components from the Ulan-Ude Aviation Plant. Thanks to reverse engineering, the problem of spare parts and components for imported equipment, used in metallurgy and forestry, has been solved. Last year we created the state fund for the development of industry in the region. Loans were approved for eleven projects, eight of which are related to import substitution. This work will continue.
– To develop something, you need a human resource. But you cannot attract highly qualified specialists to Siberia and the Far East. The regions behind the Ural Mountains are emptying. People strive not only for more favorable conditions for self-realization, but also for more comfortable living conditions. Of course, you can try to solve the problem, as Tatarstan did, by building a city from scratch – Innopolis. But the Krasnoyarsk Territory has found its way – several cities with history have already been successfully “rebooted”. Krasnoyarsk, Yeniseisk, Minusinsk and Norilsk are on the way. Any plans for Zheleznogorsk, which has enormous scientific and technical potential?
– As for Norilsk, a large-scale renovation is really underway. The plans for the development of our polar capital are ambitious and comprehensive: housing, communal infrastructure and social facilities will be modernized. Zheleznogorsk, where the key companies of Rosatom and Roscosmos are located, is also a promising city. It is worth noting that two thirds of the satellites of the Russian orbital constellation were produced on the ISS named after VI Academician MF Reshetnev. Here there is a staff potential, a unique infrastructure has been created. All of this makes it possible to organize auxiliary and related industries that work in close collaboration with the base companies. An illustrative example in this regard is the Zheleznogorsk industrial park, its residents make various metal structures, ventilation systems, containers for satellites and much more. This is an important point of economic growth. But, of course, man does not live on bread alone. In the city of nuclear scientists there is a network of educational, cultural and sports institutions. Last year the lake was improved and a new park appeared. This applies not only to Zheleznogorsk – in all large cities and towns of the region, we create a comfortable atmosphere. A living wage, good educational and leisure opportunities are the basic needs of people. Only by providing them in full, it will be possible to talk about the construction of human capital, which is necessary like air for the new development of Siberia.
The Krasnoyarsk Territory contains more than 90 percent of Russia’s platinoid reserves, as well as significant reserves of cobalt, manganese, and copper. In terms of gold mining, the region confidently leads Russia. The Siberian region occupies a leading position in terms of total in-place coal reserves (34 percent). More than half of the territory of the region is covered by forests: 14 percent of all-Russian timber volumes are concentrated here. The Krasnoyarsk Territory is included in the leading group of Russian regions in terms of investment activity and volume of capital investments. By the end of 2022, the growth of industrial production here amounted to 3 percent. In certain areas, it reached record levels: in coal mining, 25 percent, in construction, 37 percent, and in mechanical engineering, almost 40 percent. Last year, agricultural companies in the region received the maximum harvest in history: more than 3.2 million tons of grain. It also set a yield record: 34 cents per hectare. This is the best result for the Urals.