Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova said in an interview with TASS: “We need about 300 films a year, of which 60 are major premieres. This year 11.6 billion rubles have been allocated.”
Based on these words, the RG columnist, in addition to choosing the traditional 5-7 most anticipated films of 2023, also offers readers a list of 30 Russian films that will be released in 2023, briefly describing the plot of each film. This is almost half of what should, according to the minister and main producer in the country, save national distribution.
The five most anticipated
1. “Challenge.” The first film shot in space. Directed by Klim Shipenko. It tells the story of a doctor who, on board the space station, in zero gravity, operated on an astronaut and saved his life. Starring Julia Peresild.
2. “Air.” An Alexei German Jr. film about a unit of female pilots during World War II. Starring Anastasia Talyzina, Aglaya Tarasova, Elena Lyadova and others.
3. Nuremberg. Military drama by Nikolai Lebedev, whose main character in 1945 comes to work at the International Military Tribunal. And in the context of political trials, he meets his love. Starring – Sergey Kempo and Lyubov Aksenova, Yevgeny Mironov and Sergey Bezrukov. Also in the picture are famous foreign artists.
4. “Flying”. The latest adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita, directed by the young director Mikhail Lokshin. However, the emphasis is on the mysterious foreigner: in this role, August Diehl. “The Master and Margarita” is performed by Evgeny Tsyganov and Yulia Snigir.
5. “Commanding the pike.” Nikita Kologrivy played Emelya in the film adaptation of a Russian folk tale directed by director Alexander Voitinsky. In the film, where Pike also appears as a girl Vasilisa, there will be a lot of special effects, as, in principle, in the five films listed above.
6. “Kholop-2”. Do not be surprised, but the director of this picture is also Klim Shipenko. In 2023, another film directed by him will be released; we will talk about it below. “Kholop-2” is a continuation of the well-known film “Kholop”, which until 2023 was the highest grossing in Russia. However, this time it will not be a boy, but a girl who will be re-educated in “Ancient Rus”. Starring Aglaya Tarasova, Milos Bikovich, Ivan Okhlobystin and others.
7. “Fair.” A military drama by Sergei Ursulyak, who is supposed to get more than 200 Jews out of the Nazi-occupied Belarusian village of Dolginovo behind the front line. The movie is based on true events. Starring: Alexander Yatsenko, Konstantin Khabensky, Yevgeny Tkachuk and others.
8. “One hundred years ahead.” New adaptation by Kira Bulychev. Technological and delicate at the same time. Alexander Andryushchenko – director. So far, only Mark Eidelstein, Victoria Isakova and Konstantin Khabensky are known to act in the film. The names of the performers of other roles are kept secret.
9. “The biggest moon.” The film, which director Alexei Popogrebsky worked on for a long time, is science fiction and an action movie in a bottle. They are emers, superhumans who do not feel pain and do not know how to love. However, feelings are still bound to awaken. Starring Simona Kust and Ivan Ivashov. Of the stars in the picture, Philip Jankowski and Aristakh Venes are busy.
10. “Bullfinch.” Filmed based on the story by Georgy Vladimov “Three minutes of silence.” “Bullfinch” – the name of the sea seiner. Boris Khlebnikov’s film speech, the action of which has been transferred to the present day, is about what trials can bring to what at first seemed just an adventure. Starring Alexander Robak and Timofey Tribuntsev. Yevgeny Syty, a wonderful actor, who is no longer with us, managed to star in the film.
11. “What men talk about. Simple pleasures.” Mikhail Polyakov’s film opens in early February. Having matured even more, the heroes of “Quartet I” continue to discover the surprises of the next stage of life. In addition to the four of Leonid Barats, Rostislav Khait, Kamil Larin and Alexander Demidov, Dmitry Nagiev, Garik Kharlamov and others starred in the film.
12. “Lord of the wind.” A potential blockbuster in which Fyodor Bondarchuk played Fyodor Konyukhov. He talks about Konyukhov’s record-breaking round-the-world balloon flight, which he completed in 2016 in 11 days. Directed by Igor Voloshin. Also filmed Anna Mikhalkova, Evgeny Tkachuk, Andrey Burkovsky and others.
13. “A little late-night secret.” Natalia Meshchaninova’s film, shot with the support of the Ministry of Culture, has already been announced in the programming of the Rotterdam Film Festival, one of the largest international film festivals that opens the year. Tape producer Sergei Selyanov. The main character of the film is a 14-year-old girl, Mira, who has a secret and no one should know about it.
Photo: Courtesy of STV
14. Pied Piper. Alexei Mizgirev’s fantasy about how, in 2032, after the war between rats, DNA-edited hybrids and common mortals (rat-catchers), a father searches for his daughter. Starring Liza Yankovskaya and Alexander Kuznetsov. Among the producers – Fedor Bondarchuk.
15. “Flying ship.” A new version of the well-known Russian folk tale, directed by Ilya Uchitel. In this version, the tsar is going to marry his daughter Zabava to a foreigner: Paul, a wealthy heir who knows black magic firsthand. But the princess wants to marry Ivan for love. Ivan in love builds a flying ship with the help of the inhabitants of the magical forest… Polina Gagarina, Leonid Yarmolnik, Fyodor Dobronravov, Andrey Burkovsky, Sergey Garmash and others are made of stars in the movie. Formally, the picture should be released on January 1, 2024, but it will be complete in 2023, and the premiere and previews should also take place in December.
16. “December.” Record Klim Shipenko, where Alexander Petrov plays Sergei Yesenin. Fantasy with conjectures about the poet’s relationship with Isadora Duncan and the real reason for her death.
17. “1993.” A new painting by Alexander Veledinsky. The history of the country is told through the history of the family and vice versa. Starring Evgeny Tsyganov, Ekaterina Vilkova, Alexander Robak, Maxim Lagashkin and others.
18. “Klikushestvo”. Mystical work of Ivan I. Tverdovsky. The main character, 18-year-old Vika, plans to move to Norway to recover from an illness that is considered demonic possession in her town. But not in the usual way. In the main female role – Lena Tronina.
Photo: provided by the press service of the film “Klikushestvo”
19. “Passion for Matthew.” A film by Sergei Ilyin about a guy’s relationship: a church altar boy and a crazy artist. Starring Denis Vlasenko and Valerie Zoidova.
20. “Wind.” The film was shot by Sergei Chliyants (director and producer in one person) according to the script by Petr Lutsyk and Alexei Samoryadov. The Ministry of Culture supported this project. The roles of the main characters – Ivan and Katya – were performed by the debutants – Daniil Feofanov and Serafima Goshchanskaya.
21. “Red.” Director Semyon Serzin is making a film about the poet Boris Ryzhy. In the main role, Evgeny Alekhin – a writer and musician, whose rapping is in demand by many fans. Alekhin is a vocalist in the groups “Night movers”, “Waste paper” and “Chaliapin’s hat”.
22. “Summer will end.” The film has two directors, Maxim Aburgaev (who is also a cameraman) and Vladimir Munkuev. This is the first film shot in Yakutia with material in Russian. By genre – Oriental. Starring Makar Khlebnikov, Yura Borisov and others.
23. “Dance, herring!”. Film adaptation of the famous work by Tatyana Zagday “The Man in the Locked Room”, which received many awards. It is told in the play and in the film about the relationship between father and daughter. Starring Alexandra Bortich and Pavel Maikov. And also: Natalia Pavlenkova, Danil Steklov, Olga Lapshina, Anna Mikhalkova and others. Producer – Sergey Selyanov, director Alexander Lupashko.
24. “Centaur.” Directed by Kirill Kemnitz. According to the plot, a girl gets into a taxi at night, the driver of which seems to be trustworthy… Among the producers is Ilya Naishuller. Starring Anastasia Talyzina and Yura Borisov.
25. Anger. Director Dmitry Dyachenko, known for such good fairy tales as “Cheburashka” and “The Last Hero”, is shooting a thriller. In the taiga among the wolves – an epidemic of rabies. Meanwhile, at the hunting lodge, the father hid his son to cure him of drug addiction. Starring Alexey Serebryakov, Vsevolod Volodin and others.
26. “Master.” The well-known director Yuri Bykov has been working on the film for quite some time. The main character is Menshova, whose family during the accident saves the influential security officer Rodin. Gratitude breeds friendship, which leads to unexpected consequences. Starring – Artem Bystrov, Oleg Fomin, Claudia Korshunova and others.
27. Madam. The picture is the second directorial work of Lyubov Mulmenko, about the relationship between a ballerina and a shop assistant. According to the description, it is similar to the cartoon “Boxballet”, where the ballerina had an affair with a boxer; the more interesting it will actually be. Starring: Vadik Korolev, Liza Yankovskaya, Inga Oboldina.
28. “Naughty.” Folkloric film dedicated to February 14, about the love relationship between a student-environmentalist and a construction company-developer. Directed by Dmitry Suvorov. Starring Alexander Petrov.
29. “Sergio against the evil spirits.” Directed by Kirill Kuzin. The film, declared war on the success of the series of the same name. The fantasy tells of an unusual priest who helps to restore justice, fighting evil spirits with his own methods.
30. “Unprincipled in the field.” Roman Prygunov’s film will immediately become a popular hit – do not go to a fortune teller. Ordinary people are very fond of jokes and the “Unprincipled” series, based on the stories of Alexander Tsypkin. The film is a continuation of the series. Tsypkin is also a screenwriter. Starring Pavel Derevyanko, Oksana Akinshina, Aglaya Tarasova and others.
In the meantime
Ten movies that are ready
Movies that are starting to rent and will be released in 2023:
“Live” by Karen Oganesyan, “Lily and the Sea” by Dinara Drukarova, “Camel Arch” by Vitaly Suslin, “Healthy Man” by Pyotr Todorovsky, “Chekago” by Nikolai Rybnikov, “Nuuccia” by Vladimir Munkuev, “Fairy Tale” ” by Alexander Sokurov, “Medea” Igor Voloshin, “Ulli Kalle’s Big Snakes” by Alexei Fedorchenko, “Youth” by Dmitry Davydov and others. All these films have already been seen by the first viewers.