There is a risk of choking if a poorly chewed piece of food goes down the wrong throat.
Photo: video frame
A woman died in a pancake-eating contest near Omsk. She at first choked a little, but she kept eating to win. Unfortunately, the 38-year-old woman was not stopped by the food stuck in her throat: she decided to finish the entire plate, thus winning the competition. But soon the woman suddenly turned blue and began to suffocate, they could not help her.
There are many deadly sports, such as bullfighting, motocross, or skydiving from skyscrapers. An average of six climbers die each year while climbing Everest. However, there is a competition that at first glance does not seem like a game with death, but that has already claimed the lives of several dozen people. This is a fast food competition. They are usually held for entertainment or promotional purposes, when the manufacturer wants to draw attention to his food product through such contests. Therefore, as a rule, the organizers of such competitions ensure the presence of doctors. By the way, pancake contests turned out to be one of the most dangerous undertakings. The Omsk case is far from the only one, as can be seen from the list of the most significant tragic incidents of recent times.
Hot dogs, cakes and deadly eggs
– Year 2020. Moscow, Russia. The competition for eating cakes at high speed became fatal for the 23-year-old Muscovite.
– 2018 year. Argentine famed former light heavyweight boxing champion Mario Melo choked on a croissant during the show. He is 56 years old.
– 2018. United States. A 20-year-old girl died during a pancake-eating contest at the Catholic University of Connecticut. Doctors found a “hard as cement” pancake lump in her airway.
– 2016 Japan. A 28-year-old man tried to swallow five onigiri rice balls at the same time. The doctors could not save him.
– 2014 year. US Ex-Marine killed six pickled eggs.
– Year 2013. Romania. At the regional sausage festival at the famous Pleska gastronomic center, one of the participants had a sausage stuck in his throat.
– Year 2013. USA. The school contest raised money to help the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. According to the conditions, it was necessary to eat only 1 hot dog to speed up. The victim was a 13-year-old student.
– Year 2013. Australia. In a chili cake eating contest, a hot spice triggered a heart attack in a 64-year-old man.
– 2012 year. USA The competition “who will eat the most cockroaches and worms in four minutes” turned fatal for the 32-year-old winner.
– 2004. Kaliningrad, Russia. The winner of the pancake eating contest died during the award ceremony.
Why is it dangerous?
Physicians have always opposed all kinds of contests for the rapid absorption of provisions. As the classic said: only by carefully chewing food, you help society. The fact is that posing as a boa constrictor and swallowing the “rabbit” whole, you risk getting a hernia of the esophagus or inflammation of its mucous membrane. According to Inna Pichugina, an independent chief nutritionist at the Ministry of Health of the Moscow Region, such experiments are not safe for health. The stomach, although it is a muscular organ, cannot be stretched indefinitely.
Also, any product eaten in unlimited quantities becomes a poison for the body. Such food poisoning affects the digestive and cardiovascular systems. Also, the sad effect can have a delayed effect and the negative consequences usually occur a few days after the gluttony session.
How to save a person from suffocation?
And the most dangerous thing is the risk of choking if a badly chewed piece of food gets into the wrong throat. In this case, a person can be saved by one of the first aid techniques, which is called the “Heimlich maneuver.” Those who watched the famous movie “Groundhog Day” saw this technique performed by the hero Bill Murray. This is what you should do:
1. Get behind the victim.
2. Grasp it with your hands, clasping them into a “lock”, just above the navel, below the costal arch.
3. Bending your elbows in jerks, press hard on the victim’s stomach, as if trying to lift it up.
4. Do this movement several times until the stuck object is cleared from the trachea.
Such pressure is equivalent to an artificially induced cough. If the victim cannot stand, it is recommended to turn the person on their back, sit on top of them and use chest compressions.