A couple of times a year, we all have the right to get sick, catch a cold, smell
“I am coughing for the fourth week”, “I have a cold for the third time in two months” – social networks are now full of stories about reinfections. It’s not flu, so “micron” covid. Or colds, the variety of pathogens of which is amazing. There are several hundred of them, and you can collect new ones countless times. Or is it not yet? Nature has protected us from the hosts of viruses and bacteria that surround us with the help of a powerful and finely tuned immune system. From time to time it “leaks”, enemy agents enter the body and cause diseases. But if these security holes start showing up too often, this is a wake-up call. It seems that there are serious flaws in the body that weaken the immune system, doctors warn. How can a “calendar” of infections with respiratory infections indicate hidden health problems? What could be the reasons? “Komsomolskaya Pravda” learned the details.
COUNT AND OBSERVE
– A couple of times a year, we all have the right to get sick, catch a cold, catch a cold. This is not a serious sign of impaired immunity. However, respiratory viral infections in an adult more than four or five times during a calendar year are already an alarming sign. An occasion to think about the state of your health, – said the chief independent pediatric specialist allergist-immunologist of the Ministry of Health of the Moscow Region, Professor, MD. Andrey Prodeus on the TV channel “Doctor”.
For a child, the “norm” of the frequency of diseases is higher. Especially if the child attends daycare or school. “It can be 8 to 9 times a year,” explained the doctor. In young children and adolescents, the immune system is somewhat young and inexperienced, in the process of accumulating data on various pathogens. Therefore, infections when encountered with previously unknown pathogens occur more frequently.
However, there are also signs that the reaction of the child’s body to ARVI is out of order. Dr. Prodeus listed situations of concern:
1) if a respiratory viral infection gives bacterial complications, and this happens two or more times during the year. For example, after a cold, otitis media, sinusitis, sinusitis, etc. develop. Only a doctor can diagnose such complications, in most cases an x-ray and blood test are required. The most common period for the development of complications is 5-7 days after the onset of SARS;
2) if the doctor prescribed an antibiotic to treat a complication, but the drug doesn’t help, you should add a new bacterial drug or even switch to injectable forms of antibiotics;
3) if fungal infections develop on the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx or in other places. Determined by your doctor.
Items 2 and 3 can also occur in adults. For them, these are also warning signs of possible problems with the immune system, adds Professor Prodeus.
WHAT ANALYSIS WILL BE NEEDED
If you suspect a problem with your immune system, the first thing you should do is see a general practitioner. If necessary, issues a referral to an allergist-immunologist – this is the procedure for receiving free medical care according to MHI policy. For a fee, you can immediately enroll in an immunologist.
As an infectious disease physician, Ph.D. Andrey Pozdnyakov, as a rule, the following tests are prescribed to determine the state of the immune system:
– General blood analysis. First, the total number of leukocytes and the so-called leukocyte formula are evaluated. According to it, in particular, leukopenia can be determined – a decrease in the level of leukocytes in the blood. If such a symptom is detected repeatedly, this may be a sign of a “reduced” immune response, the doctor explains;
– General urinalysis. It is necessary to exclude a chronic inflammatory process in the urinary system. “Any focus of chronic infection can lead to frequent respiratory infections,” warns Pozdnyakov;
– a blood test for the level of C-reactive protein. This indicator gives information about whether there is a bacterial inflammatory process in the body.
STAY IN CONTACT
Possible causes of “subsidence” of immunity.
According to Dr. Pozdnyakov, frequent colds can be the result of a “drop” in immunity due to hidden health disorders such as:
– hormonal imbalance;
– foci of chronic infection in the body;
– acquired immunodeficiency, in particular, infection by HIV infection;
– oncohematological diseases.
As other doctors told KP, the frequency of colds can also increase under stress. Prolonged stress literally depresses the immune system and weakens the body’s defenses. Also, the immune system suffers from chronic sleep deprivation. Studies have shown that those who sleep less than 6 hours contract SARS much more frequently.
THIS WILL BE USEFUL
How will we recover?
Physicians: Supporters of evidence-based medicine are very skeptical about taking immunomodulators. On the one hand, the positive effect of such drugs has not been convincingly confirmed, dokmed experts say. On the other hand, our immune system still holds many mysteries. What will be the consequences of the intervention of immunostimulants in it (if they work) is unpredictable, experts warn.
Of the methods of supporting and strengthening immunity, science welcomes the following:
– healthy sleep, ideally 7-9 hours;
– walks in the fresh air and exercise;
– a lot of vegetables, fruits, fish 2-3 times a week;
– take vitamin D in case of deficiency (the diagnosis is made by an endocrinologist);
– stress reduction (methods can be different, from meditation to contact with a psychotherapist);
– treatment of any foci of inflammation in the body (do not start caries!) – “undermine” the immune system.