The owner of the building, from whom Smirnov rented a shelter, was also detained.
On the night of December 24, a two-story wooden building on Tavricheskaya Street caught fire. It was an illegal private refuge. The fire killed 20 people, two more guests were seriously injured.
According to preliminary data, the cause of the fire was a malfunction of the furnace. A criminal case has been initiated. The day before the fire, the Ministry of Emergency Situations went to the shelter with a fire safety control, but the inspectors were not allowed inside the compound.