hit tracker
Saturday, February 24, 2024
HomeLatest News“People are waiting for rescuers on the roofs of houses, tourists are...

“People are waiting for rescuers on the roofs of houses, tourists are urgently evacuated”: Italy was covered by the flood of the century

Date: February 24, 2024 Time: 23:17:56

Italy continues to operate a red level weather alert, and the death toll from floods caused by prolonged heavy rains has reached 11 people. According to RTVE, more than 20,000 residents of the north of the country were evacuated, but several people are still missing.

ELEMENT SCALE

The natural disaster caused the overflow of the banks of 23 rivers and 280 landslides, covering more than 40 settlements. In northern Italy, road traffic was interrupted on 250 highways, as well as regional rail traffic on numerous tracks. Almost 50,000 inhabitants of the region were left without electricity and more than 110,000 people have problems with mobile and fixed communications.

“In the memory of the inhabitants of our region, such a situation has not been presented since the end of the Second World War: such an amount of precipitation, 200 mm, and in some places 250 mm per square meter and over such a vast territory. This has never happened before,” said Paride Antolini, president of the Emilia-Romagna Guild of Geologists.

According to other statements by Italian scientists, the flood was the biggest in 100 years.

The provinces of Ravenna, Bologna and Forli-Cesena are already completely flooded and it is feared that river levels will continue to exceed the emergency threshold in the coming days. The rains there have not stopped since Monday, and people swim and wait for rescuers on the roofs and upper floors of houses.

TOURIST PROBLEMS

Rescue teams evacuate all tourists together with local residents, take them to the nearest bases of the Ministry of Emergency Situations and provide medical assistance. Some tour operators had to independently evacuate tourists who missed their plane, as the access roads to most hotels are now flooded. A hotline was set up at the Ministry to solve problems.

The Emilia-Romagna Formula 1 Grand Prix scheduled for May 21 will not take place this year: the race has been canceled and the right to host the stage has been postponed until 2026. The decision was made by the management of the races and the authorities of the region, who considered that the security conditions for the stage did not exist. On Italian Twitter, photos of the flooded track are making the rounds with might and main.

AMOUNT OF DAMAGE

Emilia-Romagna Governor Stefano Bonacchini said the devastating floods had already caused “several billions of euros” in damage, with the region receiving six months of rain in 36 hours. At the same time, throughout the winter, local forecasters spoke of drought. The level of the main water artery, the Po River, has fallen to historical minimum levels in the last 70 years.

The Italian government has promised an additional 20 million euros in emergency aid, on top of the 10 million allocated two weeks ago when the region was hit by the first floods. However, the inhabitants of Emilia-Romagna believe that this type of emergency shows the need to “rethink the territorial governance model”, since it is a phenomenon of climate change that will be repeated “increasingly”.

* This website provides news content gathered from various internet sources. It is crucial to understand that we are not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the information presented Read More

Puck Henry
Puck Henry
Puck Henry is an editor for ePrimefeed covering all types of news.
RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments