Under conditions of aggression against our country, the implementation of this agreement is a direct damage to our national security.
Photo: GLOBAL LOOK PRESS
What does the suspension of Russian participation in the Strategic Offensive Arms Reduction Treaty mean, which was announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin during his speech to the Federal Assembly. Alexander Perendzhiev, a military expert, associate professor at the Department of Political Analysis and Socio-Psychological Processes at the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, spoke about this on Komsomolskaya Pravda radio.
– Alexander Nikolayevich, the president emphasized that this is not a way out, but a suspension of participation. But what does this really mean? Is it temporary or can it last long enough?
– Suspension means that we do not withdraw from the contract, the document itself is still valid. However, the treaty remains frozen. And the second point: of course, Putin clearly said under what conditions we can return to work under this agreement. And the main question, it seems to me, is that the subject of aggression against Russia today is the entire collective West, led by the United States.
Under conditions of aggression against our country, the implementation of this agreement is a direct damage to our national security. It is as if during the Great Patriotic War we gave Hitler the opportunity to control some of our military installations. The United States and the entire collective West have declared that they are ready to destroy our country, sabotage is already being committed against our strategic security facilities. And at the same time, they demand relations from us, as in times of peace, as if we were partners in the security system. This is absurd, in such conditions we cannot fulfill the contract.
– The START-3 treaty between the Russian Federation and the United States was in force until the last moment. In particular, it provided for the reduction of the nuclear warheads deployed by each side to 1,550 units. What will change now? Western experts may consider that Russia will begin to develop its nuclear potential. Can be this?
– The arms race, as it was during the confrontation between the USSR and the USA, no longer exists. Now, most likely, we are not talking about the quantity of weapons, but about the quality. I would say that this is an “innovative arms race”; most likely, the president said about this in his message. There is nothing new here, in the sense that Trump has already announced a program to modernize US nuclear weapons and nuclear potential.
– And only our experts could not trace this in any way, it was difficult to establish an account of the potential of high-precision weapons in the United States. We talked about this topic because it was very difficult to follow everything. On the one hand, the Americans complied with the agreement, and on the other hand, they found some loopholes in this agreement.
– They agreed with their modernization to the point that they began to consider the possibility of using nuclear weapons within a limited framework. That is, if earlier, say, at the time of the confrontation between the USSR and the USA, there was a clear position that there were no winners in a nuclear war, that all life on earth would be destroyed, now they seem to be. . saying that we can adjust the shock wave, correct the terrain of radiation contamination, penetrating radiation, etc. All of this was said under Trump, supposedly as part of modernization. I think this is the most dangerous time, and it was a few years ago.
– Now what? Is the ball in the side of the Americans? How can they answer?
– We must proceed from the fact that no matter how the Americans kick, in fact, the observance of this treaty and the signing of a new one is in their interest. Because, firstly, we have a lot of new high-quality weapons, the same Zircon-type hypersonic missile systems. All this is not included in START-3, and, of course, the Americans would like to somehow agree on these issues. But the point is that the system of security and strategic stability in the world based on bilateral relations between Russia and the United States is outdated, it must be built on a multilateral basis with the participation of other nuclear powers.
ABOUT THIS THEME
What Putin’s words about nuclear weapons mean in the message: Russia suspends participation in the treaty with the United States
Putin announced the suspension of Russia’s participation in the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (more)