Russian companies are in dire need of manual workers and are willing to pay them well. Photo: Alexander KORKKA / RIA Novosti
Do you know whose salaries are growing the fastest right now?
Do you know which professions are most understaffed?
Do you know who the patterns will tear off with their hands?
And here we are not talking about the boastful IT people! Although your situation is similar. These are blue collars. That is, about physical labor people who work with their hands, and mainly in industry.
The president also recently spoke out about the fact that “the country lacks workers in many areas.” One of the main reasons for this deficit is import substitution, the creation of new industries. And without these very hands (preferably growing from the right place), no production can be created.
NO YOUNG MAN TO REPLACE
Some interesting figures from the hh.ru job search service.
37% of all vacancies today are industrial specialties.
In the first quarter of 2023, 583 thousand vacancies were registered for active personnel. This is 19% more than in the same period of 2022!
In April, 216.5 thousand jobs for workers were published. This is an absolute record, and it is 54% more than in April of last year.
Here are the news! Although for whom.
– The problem of an acute shortage of qualified workers in the labor market of large corporations has not been new for a long time, – says Natalya Kasymova, director of the personnel selection and development department of the gold mining company Polyus.
Alexandra Zapolskikh, director of human resources at the Serebryansky cement plant, says that secondary vocational education has not yet solved the problem.
– Universities cannot fully satisfy the need for personnel. Older workers are retiring, but there are no younger ones to replace them, Zapolskikh explains.
Enterprises lack both limited specialists and those who are needed in any production: electricians, drivers, locksmiths, crane operators, slingers. Alexandra Zapolskikh is sure that one of the reasons is the conviction formed in the 90s that labor specialties are not prestigious.
But it seems that this stereotype is gradually becoming obsolete. We conducted a reader survey and found that 73% of office workers are willing to trade their office for a factory. True, on one condition – if they pay well there (for more details, see “Survey” KP “).
By the way, really, what about salaries?
Photo: Dmitry POLUKHIN
For illustration, we take data from hh.ru (the average salary offered to blue-collar workers) and Rosstat (the average salary in the country). And we compare.
– Today, workers are offered an average of 71,885 rubles, with an average salary in the country of 65,094 rubles.
– A year ago, workers were offered 58,438 rubles with an average Russian salary of 57,344 rubles.
What do these numbers tell us? And about the fact that during the year the salaries of representatives of the blue-collar professions have grown by a phenomenal 23%. And if a year ago they earned more or less like everyone else, now they earn much more. And this – we emphasize once again – the average figures. Real wages can be much higher.
Experienced personnel are especially valued today. But young people can also earn decent money in factories.
Photo: Oleg ZOLOTO
– In every third vacancy for the staff working today, the salary is 20 thousand higher than the average, and in every sixth – twice the average. In most cases, salaries of 140 thousand rubles can be found in vacancies for fitters, excavator drivers, machine operators, assemblers, welders, turners, millers, locksmiths and mechanics, – said Natalya Danina, leading expert in the market labor, director of hh. ru customer efficiency.
And while lawyers and economists are pulling their hair out, our experts add: Today’s blue-collar workers are the manufacturing elite. That’s why their salaries are on par.
And they will continue to grow: according to the hh.ru forecast, this year workers’ wages will add at least another 15%. Because a scarce good, in this case, a representative of a labor specialty, always rises in price.
Photo: Dmitry POLUKHIN
Would you go to the LOCKBOOK?
How to solve the shortage problem? First of all, of course, the training of staff. And this process has already begun. Colleges and universities are increasing recruitment for job specialties, large companies are opening their own training centers.
But staff shortages cannot be overcome quickly. And the situation is unlikely to change in the coming years. According to Marina Gorbunova, Director of the Department of Human Resources and Management Organization of JSC HC Siberian Cement, the shortage of young professionals, including representatives of labor specialties, will increase. And according to the Ministry of Labor, our economy will need an additional 2.5 million workers by 2030.
– The shortage of workers will continue, because it is impossible to offer salaries more than twice the market to massively attract candidates from other specialties, – says Natalia Danina.
So while companies try to solve the problem on their own, they cooperate with colleges and universities to train staff there. Sometimes they even go to lectures in schools and kindergartens in order to tell children about labor specialties in an exciting way. And they are also setting up staff exchanges and retraining so they don’t lose valuable employees.
– We determine in advance how many people and at which production site we need. And we are looking for candidates in the external labor market and within the company in advance. We are creating a unique intercompany platform for the exchange of candidates, – says Natalya Kasymova from Polyus. – For example, a project has been completed or volumes have changed and we no longer need a pump unit operator. We offer the employee to go through free training in the corporate resource center, get a new profession, for example, an apparatchik-hydrometallurgist, and stay in a stable company.
Another solution to the understaffing problem is to lower the professional entry threshold for candidates. Simply put, the company is ready to train newcomers to the required level.
– We pay great attention to the development of practical skills, for this purpose we build dumps directly in the quarry and use the current equipment, the best mentors – experienced workers of enterprises, – continues Kasymova.
And at each cement plant of Siberian Cement, a corporate training center has been opened, where you can get a profession, a related specialty or update your knowledge on the job.
Why the Russian economy evaded, evaded and will evade sanctions (more)