Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle raised the alarm on Wednesday after more than two hours of paparazzi chasing them through Manhattan. The couple called the manhunt disastrous, comparing it to the manhunt that reporters staged against Princess Diana in Paris the day she died in a car accident in 1997. However, the police who had to intervene point out that the paparazzi in connection with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were careful and did not pose a real threat.
The disgraced couple broke the news of the pursuit of “an extremely aggressive group of reporters” through their agent. The incident occurred after they were leaving an event at the Ziegfeld Ballroom in Midtown on Tuesday night.
“This relentless pursuit, which lasted for more than two hours, led to numerous collisions with other drivers on the road, pedestrians, and two NYPD officers,” a spokesperson for the Sussexes said.
To hide from the photographers, who had been waiting for Harry and Meghan for about four hours, they left the building through the back door, where security and three cars were already waiting for them.
The Sussexes drove around the city for about an hour, trying to get rid of the “tail”. Then they changed cars and got into a taxi. But the trip lasted only 10 minutes. After that, Harry and Megan went to another car that was already at home.
New York Mayor Eric Adams had to take the blame. He called the incident “reckless and irresponsible”, recalling the story of Lady Dee’s tragic death.
“I don’t think many people have forgotten how Harry’s mother died,” the mayor added.
Princess Diana died on August 31, 1997 as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident. Several paparazzi on motorcycles were chasing the car.
Photo: EASTERN NEWS
The NYPD is investigating the incident. At the same time, the law enforcement officers who, along with the bodyguards, accompanied the couple that night, insist that Harry and Megan exaggerate the magnitude of what happened too much. The situation was nervous, but generally controlled.
– There were many photographers who made it difficult for the couple to move. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at their destination and there have been no reports of accidents, injuries or arrests, police said.
Photographers and witnesses, in turn, say that the security guards of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle behaved disgustingly, as if they were not representatives of the English crown, but popular and daring rappers. Moreover, they themselves provoked the paparazzi, who dreamed of catching the Sussexes.
Celebrities reacted to the incident. American television presenter Megan Kelly called the chase “nonsense” and noted that a two-hour chase through Manhattan was impossible. The couple began to mock on social networks, reproaching them for an excessive desire to attract attention.
British court secrets: why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left the royal family
A new book has been published claiming the prince was married to a woman who resembled his mother (details)