– Self-isolation is over, but the soul still lies in the distance. And the body too…
Photo: Ksenia TIMOFEEVA
Remember how we howled when, with the onset of the pandemic, many of us were sent to work from home? Then it seemed that life stopped. However, we quickly appreciate the advantages of remote work. And now employers (and not only in Russia) have begun to actively return employees to their offices. People sigh: what a reluctance to go to work every day! Is remote work really inferior in efficiency to office work, and what are Russians willing to do to continue working from home?
THREE DAYS AT THE OFFICE, TWO DAYS AT HOME
According to a study by the Superjob agency, in the last six months in Russia the number of vacancies where it is possible to work remotely has decreased.
– The dominant trend has become a hybrid mode of operation, combining the office and the home in different proportions, – Maria Ignatova, director of the hh.ru research service, told Komsomolskaya Pravda.
At the same time, according to her, in the first months of 2023, together with a general recovery in demand in the labor market, there is also an increase in vacancies in which the employer directly indicated a completely remote work format.
– Following the results of less than five months of 2023, the total number of such vacancies on hh.ru in Russia exceeded 263,000 – 64% more than in the same period of 2022. At the same time, today we note that although there are an excess of remote job offers compared to the beginning of 2022, their number has not yet reached the maximum values observed at the height of the pandemic in 2021, notes Maria Ignatova.
The changes affected the professions for which remote work is most frequently offered.
– Previously, remote work was most often offered to IT specialists, marketers, designers, representatives of science and education, but during 2023 they show the most modest growth rates. Remote vacancies for sales managers and administrative staff grew the most, more than three times, notes Maria Ignatova.
Photo: Dmitry POLUKHIN
HOME ACTIVITIES INTERFERE
The number of vacancies with remote work decreased markedly this year in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Employers were dissatisfied with remote work, although it seems that this is a good opportunity to save on the rent of premises. According to experts from the NAFI Analytical Center, 82% of entrepreneurs from Moscow and the Moscow region surveyed during the pandemic reported a decrease in employee efficiency when working from home. By the way, during self-isolation, about half of the residents of Moscow and the region switched to remote work. Among those who worked remotely, 41% noted a decrease in their own productivity. The respondents admitted that it is difficult for them to solve work problems remotely, they cannot organize themselves, family members and household chores distract them from work.
At the same time, 39% of those surveyed said that working from home brings as much value to the company as working from the office.
– Now only 40% of Russian companies have a remote mode. The number of telecommuting jobs will continue to decline. At best, a hybrid mode will be used,” race consultant Galina Bobkova told Komsomolskaya Pravda. – In the time of the pandemic, employers who transferred employees to remote work often began to reduce their wages.
However, many are ready to sacrifice part of their salary just to work from home (see “Survey” KP “).
Photo: Dmitry POLUKHIN
RELOCANTS WILL NOT BE PROFITABLE
There are also external reasons forcing Russian employers to move away from remote work. Full remote means a person can work from anywhere in the world. For employers, this is an additional risk.
– Employees who relocate become a headache for employers. The government submitted to the State Duma a bill on personal income tax at 30% for those who left. That is, employers will be forced to increase the salary fund or transfer these costs to the shoulders of the employee himself, and this is the risk of losing the employee. Therefore, employers will try to refuse this, – believes Galina Bobkova.
At the same time, remote work will continue to be a priority for companies looking to save money.
– In most cases, these are startups, small businesses or companies that are not rich, which, with the help of remote work, recruit employees from the regions. The regionals agree to lower salaries, and for the company this is an opportunity to save in the salary fund, – notes the expert.
Photo: GLOBAL LOOK PRESS
Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk considered remote work a phenomenon…immoral! The businessman saw inequality in this. In his opinion, people who work remotely are in a privileged position in relation to those whose work cannot be done from home.
Does it seem morally correct to you? What the hell is that! People need to stop being so damn arrogant and stop this work from home! – Sparing no words, Musk said in an interview with CNBC.
Musk himself canceled remote work at Twitter and Tesla last November, forcing all employees to be in the workplace 40 hours a week if he personally did not approve of their absence.