THE DISAPPOINTMENT GROWED
Felix is now 23 years old. Atlético bought it in 2019 from Benfica for a whopping 126 million euros. Of him, the Madrid club immediately paid 30 million, Atlético will pay the rest of the amount gradually and for a long time.
Félix arrived at Atlético as a future world-class star. A year or two and he will be, if not a new Ronaldo, then something close to this level. It didn’t work.
At first, Joao got used to the Spanish championship, which is obviously much more difficult than the Portuguese championship.
Then the player gradually began to disappoint the Atlético fans and coach Diego Simeone. Last season, the disappointment extended to playing time: Felix started from the start or sat on the bench. Obviously, the disagreement with Simeone was growing.
Photo source: Reuters
In the new season, Atlético fell. It seems that the composition is the same, plus Griezmann returned, but without a game, without a result.
I wish Félix would finally start to charm, but it didn’t stop there, he didn’t show anything extraordinary and he started to play less.
The Portuguese asked to rent it again in the fall, because the disagreement with Simeone had already turned into a conflict.
At the World Cup in Qatar, Felix was not bad, but it cannot be said that he showed an outstanding game.
CHELSEA WILL NOT SAVE FÉLIX
The situation for the transfer was ripe, and the leaders of Atlético decided to give him the genius that he had not yet revealed to Chelsea.
– The first advantage is financial. According to the media, 11 million euros for the four-month loan of a player, it is a brilliant operation by the Madrid management. In addition, Chelsea will pay Felix’s salary. The total is called the amount in the region of 15-17 million. Here the advantage is only for Atletico – out of nowhere the club earned a decent amount.
– A possible major conflict that seems to have already influenced the atmosphere within the team has been stopped. And because of the bad results, she is not the best.
This is where the advantages end.
– Chelsea continues to fail the season, 10 points separate the Londoners from place in the Champions League (the team is in 10th place). Felix is not the type of player who will save everyone. Joao is definitely not attracted to the role of savior.
And is there a player in the world who can pull Chelsea out of the swamp in a championship as difficult as the Premier League? We need a super player who scores in every game, as well as creating conditions to attack teammates. Here we need Mbappé together with Messi and Modric for them. That’s when the situation can change dramatically. And you say – Felix…
– Even a very strong player needs time to get used to the Premier League. An example is Jadón Sancho. The young talent shone at Dortmund, last season he signed for Manchester United. And so far lost. Jadon himself says that it took him a lot longer to adjust than he could have imagined. The Premier League championship, according to him, turned out to be much more difficult than the Bundesliga. There is a danger that four months will not be enough for Felix to adjust.
Photo source: IMAGO
– It is obvious that the striker’s value has fallen seriously. Before the 2022 World Cup it was 50 million, after the World Cup it seems to have risen slightly to 70 million. There are good reasons to believe that after this loan, the striker’s value will fall again. But at Atlético they hope that Félix will show himself clearly in London and it will be possible to sell him at a profit. There are great doubts about it.
– Money. Atlético won in the short term by sending the player to England. But not in the long term. See above. Although the management had no choice: marinating a high-salary footballer on the bench is not worth it, but here is such an offer from Chelsea. There is a high probability that the Blues will throw money away.
– Failed debut. Felix made his Chelsea debut yesterday. And, to some extent, he “helped” his new team lose. The Blues played away from Fulham. In the 58th minute, with the score 1:1, Felix flew into the shin of the Fulham defender on a straight-leg tackle. Perfectly fair elimination. In the minority, Chelsea missed the second and lost. The guy who swelled with 15 million “helped a lot.” Now the Portuguese will miss one or two games.