hit tracker
Thursday, May 30, 2024
HomeLatest NewsHow to maintain unemployment if I move or travel outside of Spain?

How to maintain unemployment if I move or travel outside of Spain?

Date: May 30, 2024 Time: 19:08:20

Unemployment in Spain is a contributory benefit to which workers who remain unemployed are entitled as long as they meet certain requirements. Specifically, the Public State Employment Service (SEPE) -which is the responsible body- requires having contributed to Social Security for at least one year -360 days- within the 6 years prior to being unemployed.

In addition, the beneficiary must also be legally unemployed, available to actively seek employment, and accept a suitable placement. To which must be added the demand for employment, a registration that must be maintained as long as the benefit is maintained.

By meeting these requirements, you have the right to collect unemployment, but its duration is limited and will come from the years contributed by the worker. It oscillates between a minimum period of four months -120 days- for those who will have contributed for up to a year and a half and will last a maximum of two years, for those who have contributed for more than 6 years -2,160 days-.

Travel within the EU if you receive unemployment

The SEPE warns that, if while the unemployment is being collected, the beneficiary moves abroad, “the conditions of the benefit will vary according to the reason and the duration of his transfer.” First of all, it is important to know that it is mandatory to notify the transfer outside of Spain to SEPE and that SEPE authorize it. If you do not communicate, it entails an infraction that will lead to the initiation of a disciplinary procedure and the sanction is the extinction of the right.

Despite moving abroad, the beneficiary may maintain the benefit for three months, extendable for another three, if the transfer occurs to another country of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Payment of the benefit will continue to be made using the same system as during your residence in Spain.

U2 and register as a job seeker in the country to which you are moving, within seven days after the date on which you are no longer available to the Spanish Public Employment Services.

Limit of days outside of Spain without being unemployed

In addition, the benefit can always be maintained for 15 days regardless of the country to which you move and whatever the reason for the transfer. The SEPE specifies that they can be continuous days or not and during each calendar year. In this case, the benefit is maintained as long as it can comply with the obligations established by law.

On the contrary, if the change of residence abroad lasts between 15 days and up to 90 days, the benefit will be suspended. This period rises to 12 months if the transfer occurs for work reasons. However, if the duration of the transfer exceeds twelve months, the benefit is extinguished.

The suspension of the contributory unemployment benefit implies the interruption of the payment of unemployment -and of its contribution to Social Security-. In this case, the worker has the right to request the renewal and will receive the benefit again from the day following their return to Spain, provided that they request the renewal or reinstatement within the following 15 business days.

However, the termination of the benefit implies that it can no longer be requested again. Therefore, if the worker finds himself unemployed upon returning to Spain, he will not be entitled to receive the benefit that was interrupted when he went abroad.

* This website provides news content gathered from various internet sources. It is crucial to understand that we are not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the information presented Read More

Puck Henry
Puck Henry
Puck Henry is an editor for ePrimefeed covering all types of news.

Most Popular

Recent Comments