Due to the heavy smoke, residents of several apartments were unable to leave their homes. Five people were evacuated to the street down flights of stairs.
During the extinguishing of the fire, the bodies of five people were discovered with no signs of life. After resuscitation measures, a man born in 1990 was transferred to the Okhotsk regional hospital. A woman born in 1990 and three children born in 2017, 2016 and 2008 could not be saved.
Additionally, in the morning three more people evacuated by firefighters sought medical attention. They were diagnosed with poisoning by combustion products.
The total area of the fire was 10 square meters. The kitchen wall, household goods and furniture caught fire.
Investigators are now looking into the motives for the incident. Several versions are being considered, including negligent handling of fire and violation of the operational requirements of electrical equipment. Rescuers point out that there was no independent smoke detector in the house.