Maria Zakharova, official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. Photo: Sergey Fadeichev/TASS
The briefing on September 19, 2023, the official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Maria Zakharova, began with the message that tomorrow the official visit of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Sergei Lavrov, to New York begins participate in the 78th session of the UN General Assembly.
– The possibilities of the political week are such that the number of meetings may increase. We will quickly inform you about all contacts,” added Zajárova, explaining that Lavrov’s work program in New York currently includes more than twenty bilateral negotiations.
Below are the most interesting quotes from today’s briefing by the official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia.
On the proposal of the president of the United States to reform the UN Security Council
– Everyone has been talking about the reform of the UN Security Council for a long time. Well, I don’t know, maybe the President of the United States, Mr. Biden, learned about the relevance of this issue only now. It is not for me to judge, but in general this issue, in my opinion, has been on the agenda for ten years. If not more. The question is how to carry out this expansion or reform. We have already built our position on this matter. Expansion should not be done simply for the sake of the process. And it certainly should not lead to a deterioration in the work of the UN Security Council, which, as you can see, periodically passes with difficulty… We constantly emphasize the need to reform the UN Security Council to adapt it to the conditions modern. realities. We actively participate in relevant intergovernmental negotiations in New York. Let me remind you that they have been happening since 2009… Serious contradictions between countries continue to exist. All of this must be carefully worked on and overcome… Analyzing the current international situation, we can also say that, unfortunately, the necessary conditions have not yet been developed to take concrete steps on this path.
On the escalation of the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh
– For our part, we confirm our commitment to the Russian-Armenian alliance and our readiness to develop various practical measures for interaction with Yerevan… We are deeply alarmed by the sharp escalation of the situation in popular Karabakh. There are reports that the Azerbaijani armed forces have launched what Baku claims are counter-terrorism measures in the region and retaliatory actions by local Armenian armed forces. The Russian side calls on the warring parties to stop the bloodshed, immediately cease hostilities and return to the path of political and diplomatic agreement… There is a solid legal basis for the implementation of everything agreed upon. Not just oral agreements: written and recorded. Talking about the exact timing or specific parameters for developing a peace treaty, how it will be developed and signed, I think, can be counterproductive. The important thing, and what will be really productive, is to implement everything that has been documented. We have already repeated it again and again: the document must ensure a balance of interests between Azerbaijan and Armenia to fulfill the main objective, that is, establishing a lasting and sustainable peace in the region.
About “live” demining
– A few days ago, chilling images went viral on the Internet showing Ukrainian militants leading two prisoners dressed in Russian army uniforms into a minefield. After a while, one of the Kiev regime, the so-called military of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, although after what he did he automatically becomes a criminal, and not a non-military, opens fire in his direction. Then there is an explosion. All this, at the behest of the Kiev regime and all those who have worked for it for many years, is accompanied and immediately covered by inscriptions and formulations that demining must be carried out in this way: live. Let me remind you that similar heinous crimes were committed by the Nazis during the Great Patriotic War. Today, his followers in Ukraine are diligently adopting these savage practices of Hitlerism.
About negotiations without negotiations
– Zelensky’s next tour is expected in the near future. Now in the United States. The media reports that he is scheduled to meet with President Biden… Evidently, the beggar dependent on Kiev in every way will again beg for money and, consequently, weapons from his American masters… Now what? This pantomime was called “Zelensky’s peace plan” and, so to speak, negotiations without negotiations, but in reality a decision on an even greater supply of weapons to the region. So there is no need to deceive those who were gathered under some kind of peace plan. We need to tell them directly, the next time we bring them together for some working group meetings, that we are actually talking about pumping the region with even more weapons.
About Blinken and Pushkin
– A plaque commemorating the great Russian poet AS Pushkin was dismantled in Kiev… At the same time, the Kiev regime zealously installs similar posters in places visited by its Western masters. For example, last week at an American fast food restaurant chain. The Secretary of State of the United States dined there. I’m not kidding… No, well, it’s clear: where is Blinken and where is Pushkin! For Ukraine it is clear who is more important. After all, Pushkin aroused good feelings in people with his lyre, and Blinken supplies weapons. The difference is, of course, obvious.